Apply for Assistance
To apply for a KidSport grant please review the eligibility requirements below then scroll to the bottom of the page to learn how to apply:
What are the KidSport Income Cut-offs for 2019?
To be eligible for our program your total income (line 150) has to below the income cut-offs listed below.
In order to verify these cut-offs we require either a 2018 tax year Notice of Assessment or an endorsement from the Department of Community Services. If you do not have your Notice of Assessment you can contact the Canada Revenue Agency to request a new one at 1-800-959-8281. We cannot accept T4's, T1 General Forms, GST/Child Tax benefit forms, Workers Compensation statements or paystubs.
- 2 person family - $32,270
- 3 person family - $39,672
- 4 person family - $48,167
- 5 person family - $54,630
- 6 person family - $61,613
- 7 person family or more - $68,598
*To calculate family size count the number of parent or parents in the household plus the number of children 18 years or younger (example: 2 person family = one parent + one child. 3 person family = one parent + two children OR two parents + one child). If you are unsure, please contact your local KidSport Chapter or Provincial Office for more information.
How much can I apply for?
Families can apply for up to $300 per child, per calendar year (January 1 - December 31st) to help offset the cost of organized sport registration and equipment. If you are requesting funds only for equipment the grant cannot exceed $200 per child. Applicants can only be approved once per calendar year for one sport.
What is the age limit?
To be eligible to receive funding, the child must be 18 years or younger by the application deadline date they are applying for.
How long does it take for payment to be sent out?
Applications can take up to 4 weeks to process from the deadline date you have applied for (see below for deadline dates).
- January 2nd
- March 1st - for applications received between January 3 - March 1.
- May 1st - for applications received between March 2 - May 1.
- July 2nd - for applications received between May 2 - July 2.
- September 3rd - for applications received between July 3 - September 3.
- October 1st - for applications received between September 4 - October 1.
- November 1st - for application receiveds between October 2 - November 1.
What sport programs can I apply for?
Since the KidSport program is administered by Sport Nova Scotia, grants are awarded to Provincial Sport Organizations and their eligible programs. Grants will be given out to sustained programs offered by Community Sport Organizations who hold membership with their respective Provincial Sport Organization. To see what sports are eligible to receive funding please visit www.sportnovascotia.ca and click "Find A Sport"
How do I apply for assistance?
Before applying, please make sure of the following:
- You have the correct financial document ready to submit (see Income Cut-Offs for required documentation).
- The name of the club/team your child is registering with (payment is issued directly to the club unless you submit a receipt showing proof payment, in which case we reimburse the parent if approved).
- The total registration cost for the program your child's registering with (contact the club/team if you do not know).
- The equipment required to participate if you are requesting equipment assistance.
Paper application - To download a paper copy of our application form you may visit your local Chapter's webpage by clicking HERE and then selecting your region.
Apply online - To apply using our online application system click HERE
Application deadline dates for 2019: January 2nd, March 1st, May 1st, July 2nd, September 3rd, October 1st & November 1st.
Completed applications will receive their status updates within 4 weeks from the noted deadlines.