About KidSport Nanaimo
Despite the many opportunities that exist, hundreds of children and youth in Nanaimo are still unable to participate in organized sport due to financial barriers. KidSportTM Nanaimo provides young people in Nanaimo with a chance to experience the countless benefits that participation in organized sport promotes - including developing a healthy self esteem, being part of a team, learning dedication and discovering personal excellence.
Did You Know?
- 25.5% of Nanaimo's population fall in the low income category.
- Income level is the single most significant indicator of health status.
- Children who participate in physical activities by the age of six are more likely to maintain their physical activity level throughout their life time.
- More than 58% of BC youth ages 12 - 19 are not physically active enough for optimal growth and development - nationally the reate is just over 50%.
- For the first time in history, Canadian children's life expectancy is shorter than their parents'.
The major barrier in preventing children and youth from participating in organized sports are financial barriers.
KidSport Nanaimo is a community-based sport charity that provides grants for Canadian children ages 6 to 18 to participate in a season of sport of their choice. For KidSport, success is measured by the number of new sport opportunities created for children who would otherwise not have a chance to play. The goal is to ensure that children and youth in financial need have access to the positive experience of sport and physical activity. Nanaimo is one of more than 160 local KidSport chapters in BC and is part of Sport BC which provides a charitable tax number for donation receipting. KidSport Nanaimo began funding in 2009 through the generous donation from Woodgrove Centre/Ivanhoe Cambridge. The Nanaimo Chapter is managed by a small team of dedicated community-minded volunteers.
If you have a passion to ensure that all kids have a chance to play we encourage you to contact us and join our team!