About Active Girls Grants
The KidSport Greater Victoria Active Girls Committee was established to address gender equity in supporting children to participate in sport and physical activity opportunities. Our work includes raising funds to increase the number of girls participating in sport and physical activity by offering grants to encourage and facilitate their involvement in both organized sports and recreational physical activity. Our goal is to create equitable distribution of KidSport funds reaching girls and boys, and to increase the profile of gender equity in sport and physical activity.
Both individual ("Proud to Play Like a Girl" and "Performance Development") grants for girls ages 10-18 years, and Organizational "Play it Forward" grants are available.
Guidelines and Criteria for Individual Awards
• Females aged 10-18 years living in the Capital Regional District are eligible for the awards inclusive of able-bodied, para and special athletes.
• The $250 (Proud to Play Like a Girl) award supports girls in earlier stages of participation in a sport OR a physical activity pursuit (e.g., dance, yoga). Note that Proud to Play Like a Girl nominees must demonstrate a sustained sport or physical activity experience (e.g., at least one year led by a qualified coach or instructor).
• The $500 (Performance Development) award is intended for girls who are pursuing ongoing (at least 3+ years consecutive years) and high-level performance development (3 x/week or more) in sport OR a physical activity pursuit (e.g., dance, yoga).
• Grant monies should be spent to help cover costs related to attend a training clinic, camp or other form of athletic training, as well as travel, equipment, coaching fees, or program registration fees.
• Priority is given to applicants who demonstrate the financial need and/or who require support to address other barriers to their participation. We will also consider an applicant’s experience with leadership, teamwork and fair play. When we have more applications than funds, we will give priority to those who have not received previous Active Girls grants.
• Award cheque will be payable to the recipient’s parent or guardian.
Please be advised that as a result of COVID-19, the Spring 2020 Active Girls application process has been placed on hold. These applications will be considered for our Fall 2020 funding cycle.
New applicants, please watch this page in September for details around our Fall 2020 funding cycle.